According to ASQA statistics, more than 75% of RTOs are non-compliant with standard 1.8, which is related to assessment tools. Almost all the RTOs are struggling to get the right assessment tools that meet the training package, ASQA, and industry requirements.
In this blog, I have answered some very important questions related to assessment tools, so you get a better understanding of the assessment tool.
Q1: What is an assessment tool?
The assessment tool is a set of documents that required to assess the knowledge and skills of one or more units of competency. You need to include at least two to three assessment tasks/instruments with different assessment methods (Assessment methods can be written questions, practical demonstration, project, etc).
Please refer the following blog to get information related to assessment methods:
Q2. Why do I need to use an assessment tool?
The assessment tool can be used to collect specific evidence from students so the trainer can make the better judgment that the student has skills and knowledge to meet the unit/s requirements.
Q3. What are the advantages of the assessment tool?
The well-written assessment tool will be useful to collect student evidence in a fairly easy manner and it also provides good guidelines for a trainer to make the student work.
Q4. What process should I follow to start developing an assessment tool?
Most of the people have their own style and process to develop the assessment tool. I find the following process simple and effective.
Q5. What is the difference between the assessment tool and the assessment system?
According to ASQA, the assessment system is a collection of documented policies and procedures including assessment material and tools to make sure assessment is consistent and fulfill the principle of assessment and rules of evidence.
Note: To read more about the principle of assessment and rules of evidence, follow the below link: https://www.asqa.gov.au/standards/chapter-4/clauses-1.8-1.12
So, the assessment system is a big tree and the assessment tool is one of the important branches.
Need Help To Find quality Assessment and Learner resources? Click Here to find quality assessment and learning resources
Our learner learning and assessment kits include:
- Student/Learner Assessment Pack – This Document includes the instructions for each Assessment task for the student. It also includes unit assessment cover and result sheets.
- Trainer Assessment Pack/ Marking Guide – This document includes benchmarking answers and evidence criteria to judge the student’s submitted documents.
- Mapping document – Maps the assessment resources to the training package requirements.
- Supporting documents – Additional templates will be provided. These may include templates, policies, and procedures.
- Learner guide/book including self check questions – Learner guide is for the students to get the skills and knowledge for the units.
- PowerPoint Presentation – Interactive presentation slides linked with the learner guide so trainer and student can easily navigate the information.
- Session/lesson plan – Session plan is a detailed document for the trainer to conduct the session. Our session plan is linked with other learner resources so the trainer can effortlessly implement and meet the regulatory requirements.
- Class activities book – Our class activity books will support your students to acquire the underpinning knowledge of the unit. It includes questions and different activities that students will complete prior to summative assessments.
- Self-study guide – This document includes the weblinks for all the performance criteria for your students to get additional knowledge.
Many qualifications require the student to complete a work placement. The following documents will be provided with the assessment kits:
- Workplace task booklet including logbook hours – This document includes a list of tasks that student needs to complete for allocated units. It also includes the logbook hours to record the student’s work hours for placement.
- Workplace observation booklet – This document will be used by your trainer/assessor to observe student performance in the workplace.
All the documents will be provided in Microsoft Word format except PowerPoints so you can add your logo and contextualize the resources if required. You will get a one-off license for your RTO (Registered Training Organisation) for unlimited student numbers and no ongoing fees.
All the assessment and learner resources come with Audit Assistance. Click here for further information regarding Audit Assistance and Quality Assurance.