The Australian Bureau of Statistics has released new data about the Australian populace and their work engagement. According to the data, 79% of citizens between the ages of 15-74 who have a non-school qualification(certificate, diploma or degree) are employed as compared to 58% of citizens of the same age group who do not have a non-school qualification.
This shows that both the employers and the government have trust in these certified qualifications for the nation’s economic growth. And RTOs who directly engage with the students looking for said certificates or diploma qualifications are the hubs for creating a skilled professional work pool of bright minds.
RTOs have a responsibility to provide quality training and education. So, if you are an RTO you will be held accountable when you do not provide quality training and education. And how do you not do this? By following ASQA’s User’s Guide RTO Standards 2015.
(If you want to know why ASQA accreditation is important click here )
ASQA continuously monitors RTOs by auditing their data on enrolment, completion data, and compliance history. All these three factors heavily rely on the quality of training and assessment of the RTOs.
(If you want tips and tricks with ASQA Audits click here)
So, creating and contextualising the RTO training and assessment materials is of prime importance. If you are planning to purchase RTO training and assessment materials the tips given in this blog – Mastering RTOs 13 Essential Tips For Purchasing Training Materials; will definitely help you.
But before you read about the tips you should also know what is included in training and assessment kits or resources that you should check before purchasing RTO training packages from any RTO:
Training Resources Package includes:
1. Assessment Resources Kit
- Students Assessment Pack
- Marking Guides for trainers or assessors
- Work Placement Assessment(applicable to certain training packages)
- Mapping Information about evidence, questions and assessment activities
- Unit Information Pack
- Relevant Supporting Documents
- Simulated training and business resources(applicable to certain training packages)
2. Learner’s resources
- Learner Guides for Students
- Powerpoint presentations or pre-recorded sessions or webinars
- Class Activities Book relevant to the course
- Self-Study Guide relevant to the course
- Session Plans for all unit
3. LLN Kit
- Tools like questions or activities to assess the LLN needs of students prior to commencing the courses.
- Marking/mapping guide & student tests.
- Specific Industry related questions that align with the Australian Core Skills Framework.
- Complete instructions for the assessor on the answers
4. RPL Assessment Tool/ RPL Kits
- RPL Form for students to check regulatory compliance, organisational and NCVER requirements.
- Self-assessment kit for students
- Competency conversation kit for assessors
- Demonstrations and observations kit with practical tasks, for the assessor
- The Third Party Kit(for an independent third party)
- Assessor’s kit completed with detailed instructions, procedures, and recording tools.
5. RTO Training and Assessment strategy (TAS)
TAS should include the following content:
- The target learner or cohort
- The mode of delivery
- Units of competency and allocated hours
- Vocational work placement arrangements(wherever applicable)
- Assessment tasks and their methods
- learning activities and methods of delivery
- Plan of action for evaluations and improvement
- Requirement list on:
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy
- Resources and equipment
Now let us see learn about the tips that will help you find all these RTO materials for effective training and assessment:
Tips for Finding the Best RTO Training Resources
1. Bundled Learning Materials for Multiple Courses You Need:
While purchasing RTO training materials go for a bundle rather than individual training resources. In a bundle, RTOs will get learning resources as well as assessment tools together. Learners would be able to use complete learner guides for their studies. Assessment tools and guides make marking of assessments easier and more efficient for trainers and assessors.
2. Trustworthy Compliance Guarantee from Main Publishers:
While purchasing RTO training materials look for courses from top resource developers and trusted publishers. When RTOs purchase such training materials the resources have already passed audits and have no non-compliance issues. Courses made by top resource developers and trusted publishers always have carefully mapped and validated assessment tools which will help learners to get the best outcomes from their assessments. It will also boost RTO’s credibility as a training provider.
3. Simulated Workplace Environment for All Learners:
While purchasing RTO training materials add simulated websites to your shopping cart. Accessible simulated websites are simulated learning environments for learners. These simulations can be customised for specific courses relevant to the industry. They include policies, procedures, staff records, case studies and industry templates. Simulation websites are a great way to train and assess; when workplace training or assessment is not possible due to safety or any other concerns.
4. Unlimited Use License for Training Any Number of Students:
While purchasing RTO training materials buy materials that come at no additional costs for using training resources and assessment tools. Unlimited licensing is cost-effective for RTOs as no additional investment is required when new learners are enroled with the RTO.
5. Available RTO Training, Learning Materials, and Assessment Tools:
While purchasing RTO training materials select RTO learning materials and assessment tools that are not superseded and are nationally accredited courses and competencies. If RTOs are providing courses that are not current and nationally certified their compliance comes under risk and credibility with learners also drops. To avoid issues with compliance and quality always purchase current and nationally certified resources.
6. Get a Valid Sample of Resources:
While purchasing RTO training materials select RTO resource providers that offer valid samples of resources. Request them a sample of the specific unit or training package. Take time to review it along with your trainer and assessor team as well as consult subject matter experts before coming to a final decision.
7. Validate Assessment Kit and Tool Samples:
While purchasing RTO assessment kits or tools prioritise validating a sample unit to avoid compliance risks. Do not waste money on purchasing the full tool without validation. A validated assessment kit or tool helps assessors to give better judgements on student performance. Without a valid assessment kit or tool, the whole assessment process could be in jeopardy.
8. Ensure Visual Appeal and Engagement of Materials:
While purchasing RTO training materials select an RTO resource provider who offers visually appealing and engaging course materials. Presenting information appealingly and engagingly makes learning easier and boosts learning outcomes.
9. Consider Affordability and Accessibility of RTO Resources:
While purchasing RTO training materials select an RTO resource provider who offers resources that are affordable and accessible. This will help RTOs to offer courses at reasonable prices and attract more learners while driving more business.
10. Assess the Learning Content:
While purchasing RTO training materials select an RTO resource provider who offers resources that have learner resources, guides and textbooks in them. Confirm the size and content of the learner guides. Check for learning instructions whether they are step-by-step and clear to understand. Assess with your team if the learner’s self-practice instructions can develop target skills effectively. Also, verify for a seamless transition from learning content to assessment completion for better results.
11. Easily contextualised Learning and assessment resources
While purchasing RTO training materials select an RTO highestresource provider who offers resources that offer easy to contextualise resources. Only purchase easy-to-contextualise resources otherwise RTO might get stuck with poor quality resources. Such resources will not meet learners’ needs and will not produce skilled learners for employment. In that case, RTOs face non-compliance issues.
12. Check for e-learning resources
While purchasing RTO training materials select an RTO resource provider who also offers e-learning resources. E-learning resources enable RTOs to reach remote students and working professionals who are otherwise engaged and cannot attend a traditional classroom. This will enable RTOs to cater to a wider learner group.
13. Consult an RTO consultant
Before RTOs finalise buying their training resources and packages, they should consult an RTO consultant. This way they will get a professional idea before they buy RTO materials which might not be cost and time efficient in future. Expert RTO consultation also gives a clear picture of training responsibilities and training resources.
RTOs are obligated to deliver the highest calibre of training and quality learning for skill development. To be a highly sought RTO they must comply with ASQA’s standards. Any RTO giving courses for CPC, CHC, FNS, AUR or ICT all of their training packages should include the list of learner resources and RTO assessment tools in their training package resources, mentioned in this blog. Following the tips will definitely help you stay compliant and provide the skills you promise to your students.
Where Can You Buy These Training Packages
If you are looking to purchase training packages for your RTO you can contact VET Resources,. We offer highest quality training and assessment resources. Our resources are prepared with subject matter experts and industry profesionals. For more details contact us here.
The information presented on the VET Resources blog is for general guidance only. While we strive for accuracy, we cannot guarantee the completeness or timeliness of the information. VET Resources is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Always consult a professional for advice tailored to your circumstances.